Bacterius™ Water Treatments
Bacterius™ is a brand of water treatment products to help improve water quality as naturally as possible. Our expertise lies in changing water parameters through bioaugmentation and water treatments. Using this technology we have treated a range of water including ponds, lakes, wastewater, aquaculture and industrial effluent.
Our experience and knowledge in the fields of science, ecology and natural processes allows us to look for underlying causes and long term solutions. We offer a variety of bioaugmentation and water treatments solutions for almost all water quality needs.
Table of content
- So what is bioaugmentation?
- How does this help with water quality in the average lake or pond?
- How does this help with water quality in aquaculture or industrial processes?
- How do I ensure that bioaugmentation occurs as efficiently as possible?
- Related content (case studies, portfolio and other articles)
- Available water treatment products:
|– Bacterius™ Natural beneficial bacteria|
|– Bacterius™ Concentrated pond and lake dyes|
|– Waters Clarifyers|
Bioaugmentation is the practice of adding cultured beneficial microorganisms to an existing microbial community. This reduces nutrients and breaks down unwanted compounds with the goal of increasing water quality. These specially grown microorganisms will produce enzymes capable of biodegrading or transforming excess nutrients, fats, oil, grease or hydrocarbon based contaminants.
In general, algae blooms occur when nutrient levels become too high in the water. The reduction of algae blooms is the main reason why pond owners or lake associations will contact us. Our bioaugmentation treatments help to reduce nitrogen and organic matter in the water leading to clearer water with less muck at the bottom of your pond.
Enzymes released by the microbes in our products break down various compounds which may contaminate the environment. One specific application is in grease traps where grease and other compounds build up and produce odours. The microbes efficiently biodegrade these compounds so that the level of grease is reduced and odours are stopped. Another application is the reduction of ammonia in aquaculture. Ammonia levels produced from fish may be hazardous to the fish and to the environment. We provide a solution whereby microbes facilitate the nitriciation and denitrification processes to eliminate ammonia.
Water is affected by an array of pollutants that need comprehensive treatments. A combination of natural and beneficial pond microbes is the best way to treat water most efficiently. Combined with good aeration system (Oxygen), bioaugmentation becomes very efficient and a cost effective biological solution to prevent or treat water quality problems.
What water treatments products are available?
Bacterius™ offers a full line of natural beneficial bacteria offering different products for very specific applications.
All Bacterius™ products are non-toxic and safe for the environment. Please refer to each product page for complete information including technical sheets and Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS):
- Bacterius™ C – Carbon Organic Matter and Waste Controller (organic matter and muck treatment)
- Bacterius™ N – Nitrogen Controller (water nitrification)
- Bacterius™ EQUINOX – Cold Water Beneficial Bacteria Treatment
- Bacterius™ POND – Nitrification and control of organic sediment
- Bacterius™ MUCK – Concentrated bacterial pellets for treating shoreline muck and sediment rich areas
- Bacterius™ 5B – High concentration bacteria with barley straw for sediment reduction and water clarity
- Bacterius™ 1B – Natural bacteria with barley straw, same formulation as 5B but less concentrated
- Bacterius™ No. 2 – Natural beneficial bacteria for septic systems and tanks
- Bacterius™ Sept – Natural beneficial bacteria for septic tanks and chemical toilets
- Bacterius™ Trap – Removes FOG (fats, oils and grease), food waste, sugar, starch, protein and other wastes
- Bacterius™ WTF – Wastewater Treatment Formula
Canadianpond.ca has been in this business for over a decade and we hear many wonderful success stories about how our products have improved situations involving polluted water:
- We have industrial clients who regularly order beneficial bacteria products to remove organic nutrients from their waste water. These are municipalities, compost and waste managers, meat processing plants, mining companies, to name a few.
- One cottage owner was no longer able to dock his boat in front of the cottage because organic sediment was drifting and accumulating every year along his shoreline. He started using natural bacteria and aeration with Bubble Tubing® and gained 8 feet of water in 4 years of diligent treatment! This is a classic example of the process known as bio-dredging.
- A local client moved to a country property with an aged farm pond that had been neglected for over 25 years. Within 2 years of water treatments that included lake bottom aeration, Bacterius™ EQUINOX to open the pond, Bacterius™ C and N in the summer to treat deep sediment, algae and cloudy water, and Bacterius™ EQUINOX again to prepare the pond for winter, he has eliminated the persistent algae and odour problem and he can now allow his dogs and himself to swim in the pond without any worries!
In addition to bioaugmentation we carry a select line of water treatments that can be used in conjunction with beneficial bacteria and aeration or on their own.
Sometimes blue green algae, string algae and cyanobacteria problems are very severe, persistent and require a more aggressive water treatments. We carry two types of algaecide, Polydex and Polypro. Algaecides are used when quick results are desired or when aeration and bioaugmentation cannot solve algae problems. We generally advise clients not rely solely on algaecide because this is only a short term solution. Aeration, bioaugmentation and controlling pollutants is the preferred long term solution and should be the first line of defense. Over dosage of an algaecide can harm plants and animals in a pond, so it is with caution that we use algaecides. Our staff can help with careful dosing calculation and consultation. For industrial applications most approval documentation is available with Polydex, however both product formulations are very similar.
Campgrounds with swimming ponds must conform to safety standards for water quality. We have been convincing campground owner/operators to switch from using bleach to kill coliforms, to a combination of algaecides, aeration and beneficial bacteria to reach conformity safely, while keeping the pond environment natural, healthy and safe for their swimmers!
The control of the proliferation of invasive and often non-indigenous aquatic plants can be costly for industry and a nuisance for recreational water users. The combination of aeration and beneficial bacteria treatments can remove deep, nutrient rich sediment and removes habitat for aquatic weeds. We also offer blue and black concentrated liquid pond dyes that block UV rays from penetrating deep into the water column. Bacterius™ pond and lake dye are added to closed systems, effectively preventing or weakening growth of some aquatic weeds. Some clients use the dyes simply to colour the pond water. We have found a combination of MARINE and MIDNITE creates a sharp, reflective-light quality that enhances the look of ponds and lakes. Our concentrated lake and pond dye is environmentally friendly, and non-toxic.
Shallow ponds and dugouts are particularly susceptible to rampant aquatic weed growth. Bacterius™ MARINE and MIDNITE are both popular with clients who use the concentrated pond dyes to block UV light that supports growth of Eurasian water milfoil (myriophyllum spicatum) and other invasive aquatic weeds.
There are lakes and ponds where soluble phosphorous is so prevalent that the water consistently appears green or brown, and phytoplankton blooms are very persistent. PhosClear is a formulation of buffered aluminium sulphate (alum) that precipitate the phosphorous out of the water column, where it will settle the sediments, essentially starving the pond of nutrients.
ClayAway is product that will help settle clay or silt that blocks the light through the water column, preventing life from getting established in newly dug ponds.
- Biological Treatment of Storm Water Retention Ponds
- Grease & Odour Control in Sewers and Lift Stations
- Reduction of grease in settling tank & drains
- Reduction of Organic Loading in Municipal Sewage
- Phosphorus & Ammonia Reduction in Trout Pond Effluent
- Rehabilitation of an Eutrophic Pond
- DylanVerburg, a civil engineering graduate student from the UniversityofWindsor has spent 5 months in Delhi, India, contributing to an International Research Project to improve the quality of a water system with Canadianpond.ca’our BubbleTubing® technology – Shifting the paradigm for 60 million
- Biological Treatment of Industrial Residual Waste Water
- Biological Landfill Leachate, Wastewater and Effluent Treatment
- Control FOG & Odour in Sewage Lift Stations and Grease Traps
- Management of Water Quality in Recreational Water Bodies
- Best Management Practice for Stormwater Retention Ponds
- What Can Bubbles And Bacteria Do For You?
- Which Bacterius™ products are a good alternative to Bacta-Pur?
- Frequently asked questions about beneficial bacteria
- Cleaning your pond naturally with beneficial micro-organisms
- Adding Bacterius beneficial pond bacteria
- Controlling algae in your pond!
- What to do about invasive aquatic weeds in your pond
- Control of milfoil with aeration, water circulation, & bacteria
And even more!