Deicing | Thawline™ Bubbler Deicing Systems
Thawline™ Bubbler Deicers, Linear Deicing Systems
What Makes a Thawline™ Bubbler Deicer Unique?
Unlike some impeller deicers that create very large holes in the ice, a Thawline™ Bubbler De-Icer creates a deicing water zone that follows the contours of a structure more closely. Thawline™ Bubbler Deicer can also prevent the need to remove and install pleasure boats year round, saving time and money. The Thawline™ Bubbler system can be used in summer to improve water quality around your dock or beach. This deicing bubbler hose is also excellent for ponds to prevent winter fish kill.
- Technical Sheet – Thawline™ Bubbler Systems & Standard System Options (PDF)
- Thawline™ Bubbler System – Owner’s Manual (PDF)
Contact us for custom bubbler designs for industrial and commercial deicing projects. Either with our Bubble Tubing® or, OctoAir™ diffusers we will design a system to fit your project. Please contact us for details.
Applications: From Smaller Residential Projects to Industrial Deicing
We have extensive experience with small and large de-icing projects, with our linear Bubble® Tubing diffuser technology. This includes de-icing for ferry crossings, power dams, barges, canals, dredges, pumping intakes, headwalls, marinas, house boats, boat houses, underwater pilings, fish farms and residential docks. Many clients using this system have switched from more expensive ice-away technologies to Thawline™ bubblers. The Thawline systems are more flexible, offer more precise deicing and have no electrical parts in the water.
In Muskoka, the Kawarthas, the Rideau and Trent Severn Waterways and other cottage country regions, residents are switching to Thawline™ systems. The Thawline™ systems provide precise de-icing and not the unnecessary large openings created by other de-icing methods which can cause concern for safety.
Thawline™ Bubbler Deicer Systems involve our weighted or non-weighted linear Bubble Tubing® which is flexible and easy to manipulate but will not kink. Bubble Tubing® creates a wall of bubbles, known as a bubble curtain that rises from the basin floor, up through the water column. This action lifts the warmer water up, breaking the surface tension, thus creating an ice-free zone whose size varies based on ambient air temperature, water depth, the amount of Bubble Tubing® and air flow. As the water moves away from the energy source (diffuser) it then sinks back to the bottom creating a deicing loop.
Advantages of Deicing with Thawline™ Bubbler Deicer Systems
- Thawline™ is precise, allows de-icing control of a specific area
- Allows in most cases electricity economy compared to impeller de-icer systems
- Better control of the effects of over-bubbling
- Can be used year round, for de-icing and/or for aeration to increase water quality, so your investment goes a long way, protecting and improving your shoreline property.
- Can be laid along a headwall or shoreline, or around various structures or supports.
- No electricity or moving parts in the water.
- Custom systems available involving multiple runs of tubing to de-ice specific areas.
- Installation is easy; depending on circumstances you can leave it in year round or remove it seasonally.
- The flexibility of Bubble Tubing® allows protection of irregularly shaped structures.
- Works well in both shallow and deep water; salt or fresh water.
- For optimal results, Bubble Tubing® rests on the lake floor at the same depth along its length. It can also be attached to a dock or submerged structure, at the same depth.
- Field tested in the Canadian winters for over a decade.
- Creates less humid conditions, so far less ice formation on boats or on boathouse walls that can be structurally damaging over time. In comparison impeller deicing in very cold temperatures tends to create a lot of hoarfrost.
PLEASE NOTE: When ambient air temperatures rise, Thawline™ Bubblers will make larger openings as ice conditions deteriorate.
Types of Thawline™ Bubbler Deicers
We offer 4 plugs and play Thawline™ Bubbler Deicer Packages as well as commercial and industrial deicing systems tailored to the application. Please contact us for details.
Thawline™ 50 Bubbler Deicer – Weighted (BBLR-50): ½ HP Double Piston Compressor, 50 feet each of ½ inch Bubble Tubing® and Torpedo™ Tubing (reinforced self-sinking airline). Available in 115 or 230V; for 115V draws 3.0 – 4.0 Amps (0 – 20 psi).
Thawline™ 50 Bubbler Deicer – Non-Weighted (BBLR-50NW): ½ HP Double Piston Compressor, 50 feet each of ½ inch Non-weighted Bubble Tubing® (suitable for attaching to an existing structure) and Torpedo™ Tubing (reinforced self-sinking airline). Available in 115 or 230V; for 115V draws 3.0 – 4.0 Amps (0 – 20 psi).
Thawline™ 100 Bubbler Deicer – Weighted (BBLR-100): Thawline™ 100 comes with a ¾ HP Double Piston Compressor, 100 feet of ½ inch Bubble Tubing® and 50 feet of 1/2 inch I.D. Torpedo™ Tubing (reinforced self-sinking airline). Available in 115 or 230V; for 115V draws 5.4 – 6.9 Amps (0 – 20 psi).
Thawline™ 100 Bubbler Deicer – Non-Weighted (BBLR-100NW): NW option comes with Non-Weighted Bubble Tubing® suitable for attaching to an existing structure.¾ HP Double Piston Compressor, 100 feet of ½ inch Bubble Tubing® Non-Weighted, and 50 feet of 1/2 inch I.D. Torpedo™ Tubing (reinforced self-sinking airline). Available in 115 or 230V; for 115V draws 5.4 – 6.9 Amps (0 – 20 psi)
Need solid advice for a custom system? Feel free to contact us with your plans and water depths, so we can propose a custom system to best protect your investment.
Included in the Thawline™ Bubbler Systems (½ HP (Thawline™ – 50 feet ) or ¾ HP (Thawline™ -100 feet) are the following:
- Double Piston compressor, 2-year limited warranty, low maintenance on compressor and tubing. Filter change and diffuser clean every 2 years (approx., depends on conditions). The compressor must be housed in a shed protected against the elements. Cabinet options also available.
- Universal Base Mount to attach compressor to wall/shelf/floor.
- 50 feet or 100 feet of ½ inch Bubble Tubing® (weighted or non-weighted).
- 50 feet of self-sinking ½ inch Torpedo™ Tubing (airline delivery hose).
- All the necessary hardware, instructions, tech support from our team.
About the compressors:
- ½ HP or ¾ HP compressors.
- Very low power consumption.
- Extremely reliable technology, continuous 24/24 or intermittent operational compressor, UL, CSA & CE approved, thermal protection overload, the ramped internal valve plate allows for a restart under load after power failures.
- 6-foot power cord
- Low level of noise, 65 dB equivalent to normal conversation at 3 feet away
- Can be used with heavy duty outdoor timers/thermostat such as the C-20.
- Regular maintenance includes annual filter change
- 2-year warranty
About the Bubble Tubing®:
- Flexible and very durable, comes in weighted or non-weighted formats, no lead keel
- 5-year warranty
- Produces even and continuous bubble pattern along the entire length of the keel when laid at the same depth.
- Requires very little energy to operate, very efficient, extremely reliable.
- Lays in whatever configuration you require, very easy to install and maintain (Clean as necessary with Bio-Purge).
See our Bubble Tubing® pages for more information on this great product.
Deicing can be a complicated matter involving many environmental factors such as predominant winds, tides, shoreline configuration, water depth changes, temperature fluctuations, and ice depth.
To consider also is the property to be protected, the shoreline from erosion, the structures from the lifting or crushing force of ice, or protection of boats from repeated wear of freezing and thawing.
Finally, it is not only the ice that does damage, it can be its formation, shifting, lifting, crushing, thawing, or cycle of freeze-thaw, and then flooding from thawing (in river situations).
Matching the deicing technology to the application is critical, our expertise can help.
Contact us with the following information: photos or plans of areas to be deiced, location and voltage of power available at the site, geographical considerations.
PSI: We recommend Thawline™ Bubble Tubing® be laid at the same depth along the length of the tubing for maximum deicing performance and for reduced wear and tear on the compressor.
Due to the dangerous nature of open water and thin ice caused by any deicer system, it is imperative to take proper precautions (fencing, signage, warning lighting, etc.) to warn of the dangers of thin ice.
Verify with local authorities if deicing is in compliance with local regulations and if a permit is required before installation.
PLEASE NOTE: When ambient air temperatures rise, Thawline™ Bubblers will make large openings in ice as ice conditions deteriorate.