Learn | Deicing
Turnkey Deicing Solutions for the Oil Industry in Alberta
We were contacted in late August from an oil industry to propose turnkey deicing solutions for an infrastructure development in a tailing pond in the oil fields of northern Alberta. In collaboration with our client, their engineering firm and their site services contractor, we designed and proposed equipment for an industrial deicing system using Bubble Tubing (Thawline Bubbler Deicer). Please click picture at right to view in full size mode.
Kasco impeller de-icers are currently in use for some of the structures but a back-up deicing system was required as the impellers deicers often get affected by large floating masses of asphaltene typical of tar sands water reservoirs . The Thawline Bubbler Deicer method is an excellent solution to keep ice from forming along floating or stationary structures as well as creating ice free zones for movement of boats, dredges or barges. With no moving parts in the water, Thawline Bubbler Deicer is the best choice for a highly reliable and permanent deicing installation that will not be affected by floating asphaltene or even by bitumen which is typically settled at the bottom of the water cells used in the crude oil industry.
This particular project for an oil industry required the following:
- An access channel designed to deice 400m x 25m using 40 individual lines of weighted Bubble Tubing;
- Two water pumping dredges on barges de-iced using 8 lines of 60 metres each of weighted Bubble Tubing to create an ice free zone of 70m x 80m;
- A Thawline System to de-ice a 120 meters industrial Floating Walkway using 4 lines of 60 metres each side using weighted Bubble Tubing;
- Two custom designed manifolds, industrial grade hardware assemblies and layout designs;
- Full onsite supervision during and after installation.
Our proposed turnkey deicing solutions were retained. Canadianpond.ca supplied the above materials for water de-icing and we were on site to offer supervision at the time of the installation in October 2014. Access to service barges and dredges throughout the cold winter months is made possible with deicing using our Bubble Tubing.
Mario Paris was onsite to organize management of materials, to train the crew on how to do the installation of the deicing equipment on land and on the boat (tubing, hardware and manifolds) as well as testing of the equipment. As part of our service relationship to all our clients, Canadianpond.ca is available for troubleshooting and technical support for this de-icing project indefinitely.
We are proud to offer a cost effective and efficient solution for these large resource and infrastructure projects that use Canadian technologies and Canadian ingenuity! We will keep you updated on its progress.
Advantages of Thawline Bubbler Deicers
- No moving parts in the water, easy to maintain and repair from shore;
- Energy efficient;
- Not affected by floating debris, floating asphaltene or bitumen masses.
- No need to go on water to operate;
- Easily monitored during winter months.